Ayurvedic treatment for Hydronephrosis or swollen kidney

Hydronephrosis or swollen kidney

Know More on Kidney Diseases

Hydronephrosis or swollen kidney


To effectively manage hydronephrosis, its basic underlying cause needs to be diagnosed and treated.1 Treatment of hydronephrosis aims to re-initiate urine flow from the kidneys and reduce the swelling and pressure which is the reason for decreasing kidney function 3.

Care for the patient should be aimed to minimize pain and prevent any urinary tract infections. If this is not possible, a surgical intervention is needed.3

In ayurveda there is no specific management explained as such for hydronephrosis.  In general all the urinary disorders are due to vitiation of vata, so medicated enemas (Basti karma and Uttarvasti karma) are indicated in these conditions.

Additionally, Ayurveda also recommends a combination of healthy diet (ahar) and lifestyle changes (vihar) in order to manage the condition effectively. These include:

Diet Recommendations (Aahar)

Following foods may be useful

Purana Shali (Old rice), Kushmanda (White gourd), Patola (pointed gourd), Talaphala (Toddy palm), Urvaru (Cucumber), Khajura etc. are all good in Mutra vikaras (Diseases pertaining to urinart tract)

  • Increase consumption of fluids such as buttermilk and lemon juice
  • Light foods and easily digestible foods should be eaten
  • Avoid alcohol consumption

Lifestyle changes (Vihar)

  • Avoid suppressing urges to urinate, etc

Disclaimer: The information on this page is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or ayurvedic treatment of kidney-diseases and/or hydronephrosis or swollen kidney without consulting the doctor. Consult your physician before beginning an exercise regime. "While we have products /ayurvedic medicines for kidney-diseases and/or hydronephrosis or swollen kidney, you must consult an authorized physician before taking any of the products. For more information on products, visit www.dabur.com or call 1800-103-1644"

Related Articles